Ledger Nano S Hardward Wallet Review
Ledger is one of the well known physical Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet available in the market today. This review will solely focus on Ledger’s newest hardware wallet , Ledger Nano S. Previously Ledger Nano S have 2 predecessor which is respectively Nano and HWS.1
- Smallest in size and also cheapest compared to other hardware wallet
- Screened hardware wallet
- Easy to use and setup on any types of PC
- No passphrase
As shown on the above image, Ledger Nano S is designed as a small and portable hardware wallet in the size of a common pendrive. There are two physical button on the side of the Nano S which functions as a transaction confirmation. Thus to confirm a transaction, the two side button has to be pressed at the same time.
Ledger Nano S design
When it comes to hardware wallet, the security will be way above than other standard “Hot” or online wallets as they would require the device itself. Nano S will prompt up a 4-Digit Pin setup upon first activation. The 4-Digit Pin will be required every activation thus making any unauthorised access difficult. Any random attempt to figure out the 4-Digit is considerably futile as after 3 wrong attempts, Nano S will auto reset and reconfigure. Thus making any brute force hacking impossible and master seed required for reconfiguration.
The setup process for Ledger Nano S is considerably easy and as shown on steps below:
- A micro USB cable and PC will be required for setup. Nano S will require external power mainly from USB cable to activate as it is fully USB powered. The micro USB cable should be provided if you bought a brand new one from Ledger.
- Once the USB and Nano S is connected, a 4-Digit Pin will be prompted for first activation. The 4-Digit Pin can be increased up to 8 Digits. The number for your Pin can be adjusted by the 2 buttons. This step will be repeated to re-confirm your Pin.
- Once your Pin setup is done, a 24 word “Master Seed” or Recovery Phrase will be shown on screen.
- A 24-word Sheet should be provided as well in the box, your recovery phrase should be written on it as a physical copy and kept properly.
- Once its done, Ledger will ask for 2 random word as confirmation.
- Then you may proceed on using it as intended, it can be connected with a Chrome extension as well.
Recovery Phrase Sheet
Why Ledger Nano S?
Ledger Nano S is suitable for people who like it small and easy to bring around. Nano S is also slightly cheaper than its competitor KeepKey and Trezor, otherwise its just based on user’s preferences in terms of design. On terms of coins supported, Nano S is one of the wallet that supports more currencies compared to KeepKey and Trezor. Currently Nano S holds these coins as below:
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Dogecoin (DOGE)
- Zcash (ZEC)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Dash (DASH)
- Stratis (STRAT)
- Komodo (KMD)
- Ark (ARK)
- Expanse (EXP)
- Ubiq (UBQ)
- Verticoin (VTC)
- Viacoin (VIA)
- Neo (NEO)
- Stealthcoin (XST)
- Stellar (XLM)
- Hcash (HSR)
- Digibyte (DGB)
- Qtum (QTUM)
- PivX (PIVX)
Ledger Nano S supports Ripple Coin XRP, where CCMalaysia uses XRP as a form of reward for participation on our website and forums. Do Visit our reward page to know more about rewards.